If given the opportunity, most employers would rather promote from within instead of hiring someone new. If you currently work in a medical setting and are interested in advancing your career as a CNA, CMA, or Pharmacy Technician, talk to your manager or HR representative. Here’s how:
- Schedule a meeting: Explain that you are looking for additional responsibilities and you’d like to set aside a few moments to talk about what that could look like.
- Do some research: Before going into the meeting, understand the training time and cost commitments for the course you’d like to take. For example, the CNA course will take 76 hours and cost $510, while the CMA course can be done in 40 hours and cost $340.
- Present your goals: Explain the role you are seeking and the research you have gathered. Your manager or HR representative should then share the company’s prerequisites for the job.
- Ask about tuition reimbursement: If they haven’t mentioned it already, ask if the company has a tuition reimbursement program. If so, make sure you understand all the criteria around the program, such as when and how the reimbursement takes place and how long you need to stay with the company.
- Enroll in a course: Once you understand the steps your company requires to advance, View Our Course Calendars, select your class time, and enroll.