Seeking a Certified Med Tech-Aide (CMT, CMA, L1MA)
Cedarhurst of La Vista
8140 S 97th Plaza, La Vista, NE 68128
Position: 40-hour CMA
Reports To: Director of Nursing
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Direct Reports: No
Department: Care Staff
The certified med tech-aide promotes the provision of resident care utilizing a team approach in conjunction with the resident assistants, nurses and other members of the interdisciplinary team such as lifestyles, dining services and housekeeping. A certified med tech-aide is a primary provider of resident care and delivery of medications. A certified med tech-aide promotes the physical, personal and emotional well-being of each resident and strives to maintain the residents at their maximum level of self-care and independence. The ultimate goal of quality resident care is to enable each resident, where possible, to return to the highest level of functioning, to attain a new stage of independence, or to at least prevent regression. An active approach to resident care will be taken and not just passive maintenance.
Essential Duties include the following:
The following duties are normal for this position. This list is not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide direct resident care services including medicine distribution to residents. Follow individualized plan of care for all residents.
- Perform resident assessments as required by the state standards/regulations and facility policy, under the direction of the Director of Nursing.
- Observe residents for change in condition and report any changes immediately to supervisor and/or the Executive Director. Provide timely interventions to change of condition and share this with care staff and family as instructed.
- Document all pertinent/relevant observations, red flags, incidents, interventions, communication with the resident’s responsible party, physician (as necessary), clinical procedures and daily medication assistance/care throughout the shift as indicated and no later than by the end of each shift.
- Effectively pass required information to the next shift in timely manner and as indicated to direct supervisor to ensure quality resident care.
- Oversees the timely documentation by Resident Assistants of services provided and red flags for their shift.
- Complete and maintain current individualized care plan for each resident.
- Provide interim documentation as required to resident file. Attend all scheduled interdisciplinary resident care meetings.
- Respond to urgent calls as needed, check and record vital signs, weights, and blood sugars, as assigned.
- Provide for/assist residents with activities of daily living as needed, including bathing/showering to schedule, oral care, toileting, dressing, etc.
- Perform restorative nursing techniques including proper positioning, ADL training, Passive Range of Motion.
- Assist in providing appropriate info and behavioral prompts, cues, redirection, affirming support to residents in need. Support hydration.
- Encourage residents to participate in scheduled facility activities providing assistance in getting to activities as needed. Assist in the coordination, planning and implementation of resident activities, as necessary.
- Assist residents with transfers and ambulation as directed, using proper body mechanics.
- Maintain restraint free environment at all times. Support fall prevention programs for all residents in need. This includes proactive intervention use, monitoring, safety in the rooms and rounds.
- Help welcome, orient, and transfer residents according to facility procedure.
- Assist in post-mortem care as instructed.
- Communicate appropriate and timely information to families as indicated. Report any family concerns to Supervisor. Share with staff information they may need to know to improve care delivery in timely manner.
- Oversees and manages medications delivery system to include timely order entry, receipt and tracking as well as daily MAR documentation, narcotic count, and checking in medications in timely manner as assigned to ensure resident compliance to medication regime. Notifies pharmacy and supervisor of issues and seeks to resolve in timely manner.
- Attend in-service classes and staff meetings. Assist with orienting new employees. Lead and coach Care Associates to improve performance.
- Provide glucose monitoring and administration of insulin (applicable for CMTs and insulin-certified CMAs only)
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Qualifications, Education and/or Experience:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
- High School Diploma or GED and 1+ years of related work experience, preferably in a senior care community.
- \Must have current state certification for corresponding role (Certified Med Tech, Certified Med Aid/Level 1 Med Aide/Level 1 Med Aide – insulin certified) – Ideal to have current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Respect for the principles of resident rights and confidentiality.
- Must possess a general knowledge of laws and restrictions regarding Assisted Living and Memory Care, as well as a solid understanding of opportunities and limits of other levels of care within senior living.
- Possess sound organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and with a strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated to accomplish goals with a strong sense of accountability for results.
- Sense of professional curiosity, desire to learn new things, and to find / recommend solutions to problems.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills required along with the heart and passion to work with older adults while providing the best care possible.
- Must have the ability to remain calm in stressful situations, to be flexible, to work well with many interruptions and have skill in multi-tasking.
- Must exhibit and promote a high level of customer service, hospitality, curiosity and friendliness towards all residents, visitors, employees and the overall facility.
Knowledgeable in Electronic Medical Record systems (CareMerge preferred)
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and lift and /or move up to 50 pounds independently; occasionally lift and/or move up to 200 pounds with assistance and push up to 350lbs (wheelchair). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
I have carefully read and understand the contents of this position description. I understand the responsibilities, requirements and duties expected of me. I understand that this is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the position. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, the employer reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the position or to require that additional or different tasks be performed as directed by the employer.
I understand that this position description does not constitute a contract of employment nor alter my status as an at-will employee. I have the right to terminate my employment at any time and for any reason, and the employer has a similar right.
Associate’s Signature: ______________________________ Date: __________________
Associate’s Printed Name: _____________________________________________
This employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the employer will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.